The Digital MedTech Conference features dynamic panels and sessions covering the critical technology and business issues facing the development and deployment of digital health devices, tools, and services. Renowned experts will take a hard look at the state of digital medtech, and will cover topics such as artificial intelligence, privacy, and regulatory updates.
Wednesday, May 22
7:30 am – Registration Open & Continental Breakfast
8:15 am – 8:30 am – Welcoming Remarks
- Michael “Mick” Farrell, Chief Executive Officer, ResMed
8:30 am – 9:15 am – Turning the Promise of Digital Health Into Reality
Two of the medtech industry’s leading innovators discuss how they are developing new business models for the digital health era and leveraging digital health technologies and services to advance patient care.
- Michael “Mick” Farrell, Chief Executive Officer, ResMed
- Sheri Dodd, VP/GM, Medtronic Care Management Service & VP/GM, Non-Intensive Diabetes Therapies, Medtronic
- Moderator: Andrew C. Fish, Chief Strategy Officer, AdvaMed
9:15 am – 9:35 am – Spotlight: The Power and Potential of Virtual Reality Medicine
Rapidly advancing VR technology is yielding ever more immersive experiences, creating the potential to treat serious and debilitating medical conditions. A leading medtech entrepreneur explores the science and potential of VR, as well as market access barriers.
- Ramsay Brown, Director of Product Science, AppliedVR
9:35 am – 9:50 am – Networking Break
9:50 am – 10:10 am – Spotlight: Leveraging Software for Patient Adaptive Devices
Advances in medical technology software are powering a revolution in devices that can continuously respond and adjust to patient feedback. The 2016 MedTech Innovator grand prize winner discusses how his dynamic brace leverages state-of-the-art technology to optimize treatment of spinal deformities.
- Jamie Haggard, CEO and Co-Founder, Green Sun Medical
10:10 am – 11:25 am – Data Wars: The Collision of Value and Privacy
Advancing capabilities for generating and extracting value from personal health data promise to transform health care, but privacy and ethical concerns in the US and EU are creating legislative and regulatory headwinds for technology developers and health care providers. Industry and policy experts on the front lines discuss the political landscape and how medtech companies are coping in an uncertain environment.
- Peggy L. Bodin, Global Privacy Officer, Zimmer Biomet
- Samantha Corbin, Partner, Corbin and Kaiser
- Reece Hirsch, Partner, Morgan Lewis
- Shannon Zeigler, Coordinator, Legal & Compliance, MedTech Europe
- Moderator: Fielding Greaves, Director, State Government & Regional Affairs, AdvaMed
11:25 am – 11:45 am – Spotlight: The Future of Personalized Medicine is More than Buzzwords: Blockchain + AI + IoT
Advanced digital technologies are empowering health care innovators to generate and extract greater value from data and develop new business models for improving patient care. A leading Silicon Valley serial entrepreneur gets down to business in this presentation on the practical ways that these emerging technologies are driving new business opportunities and the future of health care.
- Radhika Iyengar-Emens, Founding Partner, StarChain Ventures
11:45 am – 1:00 pm – Networking Lunch (Fischer)
12:40 pm – 1:00 pm – Spotlight: Start-Up Perspective: Commercializing the Connected Self
The winner of the 2017 MedTech Innovator Execution Award and developer of a textile-based nanosensor technology discusses key considerations for early stage technology and business development.
- Venk Varadan, Co-Founder and CEO, Nanowear, Inc.
1:00 pm – 2:15 pm – Pharma Goes Digital
Medtech and pharmaceutical industry partnerships are creating a perfect synergy for developing new digital health technologies and platforms that will improve patient outcomes. Pharmaceutical industry representatives discuss the potential of digital health, FDA’s proposed framework for prescription drug use related software and challenges in balancing innovation and oversight.
- Zinatara A. Manji, M.S., PharmD, Sr Director, Global Regulatory Affairs, Innovation, GSK Consumer Healthcare
- Kirsten Hanson Paulson, Sr. Director, Global CMC-Medical Device Lead, Pfizer
- Ray Silkaitis, Director Regulatory Affairs, Devices, Amgen
- Moderator: Janine M. Morris, Vice President, Global Regulatory Affairs | Devices, Eli Lilly and Company
2:15 pm – 2:35 pm – Spotlight: Consumer Focus: Smart Devices, Smart Designs
The enormous potential of the medtech home health care market won’t be realized if technology use isn’t intuitive and appealing. A chief technology officer discusses design and behavioral strategies to improve compliance and create an ideal user experience.
- Scott Thielman, Chief Technology Officer, Product Creation Studio
2:35 pm – 2:50 pm – Networking Break
2:50 pm – 3:50 pm – Demystifying AI
Leading experts explore the myths, realities and potential for artificial intelligence in health care.
- Pat Baird, Sr. Regulatory Specialist – Head of Global Software Standards, Philips
- John Daley, Vice President, Regulatory, Quality Assurance, Privacy and Security, IBM Watson Health
- Sam Surette, Regulatory Affairs and Quality Assurance Manager, Bay Labs, Inc.
- Moderator: Yarmela Pavlovic, Partner, Hogan Lovells
3:50 pm – 4:35 pm – FDA Fireside Chat: Grappling with AI Regulation
- Matthew Diamond, MD, PhD, Medical Officer, Digital Health, FDA
- Host: Nathan A. Brown, Partner, Akin Gump
4:35 pm – 5:35 pm – Health 2040: What Role will MedTech Play?
Seamless connectivity, radical interoperability, ubiquitous data and hyper-engaged consumers will redefine health care over the next 20 years. Digital medtech experts explore what today’s converging technologies and applications suggest about the future of health care and the role of medtech.
- Rick Altinger, Medical Devices & Digital Therapeutics Consultant and Board Member
- Nirav Dalal, Senior Director, Global Data Science and Analytics, Abbott
- Mukund Paravasthu, VP of Digital Solutions, Johnson & Johnson
- Moderator: Pedro Arboleda, Managing Director, Deloitte Consulting LLP
5:35 pm – Day One Wrap Up
- Zach Rothstein, Vice President, Technology & Regulatory Affairs, AdvaMed
5:40 pm – 6:30 pm – Networking Reception sponsored by Deloitte (Atrium)
Thursday, May 23
7:45 am – 8:30 am – Networking Breakfast Hosted by AdvaMed’s Women’s Executive Network
8:30 am – 9:00 am – Ensuring Patient Safety in Virtual Care
Many care centers are turning to virtual care solutions, especially for high-risk or high-acuity services like telestroke, teleICU and telebehavioral health. A medtech industry veteran discusses patient safety considerations in the expanding world of virtual health care.
- Joseph M. DeVivo, Chief Executive Officer, InTouch Health
9:00 am – 10:00 am – Trends in Digital Health Investment
Investors recognize the potential for digital health to transform patient care, but are wary of the growing pains the industry will face as these technologies continue to become mainstream. Hear from a panel of Wall Street analysts, venture capital firms, and other research organizations on recent trends in digital health investment, including evolving regulatory and reimbursement challenges.
- Lindsey Conon, Senior Consultant/Director, Strategic Opportunities and Alliances, Willis Towers Watson
- Bill Evans, Managing Director, Rock Health
- Charles Rhyee, Managing Director, Health Care – Healthcare Technology & Distribution, Cowen
- Moderator: Eric Assaraf, Director, Cowen Washington Research Group – Health Care & Medtech Policy
10:00 am – 10:15 am – Networking Break
10:15 am – 10:35 am – The Robotic Revolution
A global technology leader in minimally invasive care and the pioneer of robotic-assisted surgery shares how it’s using digital health technologies to enable better, more predictable outcomes for patients and surgeons.
- Kyle Miller, MD, MBA, Senior Global Clinical Marketing Manager, Intuitive Surgical
10:35 am – 11:35 am – De-risking Digital Startups: Lessons Learned
For a startup to thrive, it takes a lot of things to go right. Industry veterans discuss essential strategies for enabling startup success and mitigating early stage risk.
- Suzy Engwall, National Director, Innovation Institute
- Marco Flavio Marinucci, Head of Digital, Ximedica
- Allen Poirson, PhD, Partner, Mighty Capital
- Brian Smith, Founder, RedCrow
- Moderator: Lisa Carmel, Vice President, Business Development, Ximedica
11:35 am – 11:55am – Spotlight: Digital Health Outlook – Europe
Europe may present a daunting challenge in digital health: a fragmented market with tightening regulations, strong consumer protections, complicated reimbursement systems and powerful stakeholder groups. Various policy initiatives on the EU and national level promise to make 2019 a year for change. An industry expert discusses market opportunities for digital medtech.
- Michael Strübin, Director, Digital Health, MedTech Europe
12:00 pm – 1:00 pm – Networking Lunch (Fischer)
1:00 pm – 1:20 pm – Spotlight: Regulatory Success with Digital Combination Products
Software combined with pharmaceuticals has the potential to revolutionize health care. A regulatory professional outlines three challenges to regulatory success with digital combination products and the steps Teva took to overcome those challenges.
- Samir A. Shah, PhD, Assoc Director, Teva Pharmaceuticals
1:20 pm – 1:40 pm – Spotlight: Edge Computing
An informatics & security expert presents strategies for deploying edge computing to better leverage data in real time and enable nimble health care solutions.
- Sudhir Mahakali, Senior Director, Digital Health & Cybersecurity, Alcon
1:40 pm – 2:00 pm – Spotlight: Creating Digital Health Ecosystems: Lessons from Boston
Massachusetts state government is working with private sector partners to grow its digital health cluster, including developing digital health ‘sandboxes’ to increase access to unique R&D hubs. A leader in this initiative discusses how the state is collaborating with providers, payers, leading life sciences and medical devices companies, global tech titans and investors to foster a vibrant digital health ecosystem to benefit all stakeholders.
- Laurance Stuntz, Director, Massachusetts eHealth Institute at Mass Tech
2:00 pm – 3:00 pm – Untethering the Patient: The Power of On-Board Diagnostics
Pioneers in implantable and wearable diagnostics discuss how continuous, remote monitoring data will transform wellness, medical intervention, health care delivery and patient outcomes.
- Ben Hwang, PhD, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Profusa
- Ranndy Kellogg, President and CEO, Omron
- Moderator: Tom Kawalec, Executive Partner, Accenture
3:00 pm – 3:05 pm – Conference Wrap Up
- Andrew C. Fish, Chief Strategy Officer, AdvaMed